Thursday, August 15, 2013

Snug in a Bug






And we're off! Our road trip started in West Bloomfield, MI with Jacki giving me the surprise of a lifetime. The last two weeks my friend Shannon has been telling me it will be a game time decision if she decides to come with us on the trip. At this point, sitting at Jacki's eating breakfast, and getting ready to leave, I expected it to just be us two. But suddenly, the doorbell rang, and in walks Shannon!! At first I thought she was just saying goodbye, but then she said she was coming. AND that she had been planning to come since July. Talk about the surprise of a life time - I was so happy! The three of is packed up Jackie's bug and we headed north.
First (unexpected) stop: Ann Arbor. We hadn't originally planned to stop there, but we were driving by it anyway and we just couldn't pass it up. As soon as we entered our beloved city, I felt an immediate sense of home. My heart filled with joy and I just felt like I still belonged there. When we walked through the diag, I remembered my days as a student and for a second wished I could be walking to History 260 one last time. It's never easy to create home, and it's hard to find a place where you feel completely 100% at home. But Ann Arbor became my beautiful home for four perfect years, and to this day I still feel like I belong there. Obviously we visited 715 Oakland Avenue, my physical home for 3 of those 4 years. It looked exactly the same, the porch swing still in excellent condition. I remember so many days sitting outside on that swing sipping on something waiting for our friends to arrive. Being back was a gift, but it made me think of my roommates who weren't there with me and Shannon. And as anyone who hung out with us knows, that house housed many a soul throughout the years, whether they stayed for a week or two, subletted, or permanently lived there. Each one of you made that house, 715, the black hole, whatever you want to call it, perfect. You made it my home, and you helped me grow. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.




Second stop: Chicago. After we proceeded to buy enough Michigan souvenirs to last us another year, we hit the road to head to Chi-town. Jacki assured me that I would love Chicago in the summer, since she knew I wasn't entirely in love with it. As a New Yorker, it is hard to fall in love with other cities. But this time, in summertime Chicago, I would open my heart to another city. Once we get into Chi-town, we hop on the bus and head to Oak Street Beach, a small beach surrounded by several tall buildings including the John Hancock building. It was gorgeous! There is no greater feeling than having your feet in sand with an entire city in front of you. While at the beach we each had a 312 Goose island beer, which I believe is brewed in Chicago. As always we created a scene with our Michigan pride. Afterwards we walked down Michigan Ave, stopping at Garrett's for popcorn along the way. Probably the best popcorn I have ever tasted. Our destination was the bean, since Jacki had never taken a picture with it. Once we took photos with the bean, Shannon had this brilliant idea that we should all have a Chicago style hotdog. Jacki and I were thinking "uhhh we like NOTHING on that hotdog." But Shannon wouldn't take no for an answer - and so the three of us shared this absolutely disgusting (sorry Chicago) Chicago Style hotdog. To say it was a once in a lifetime experience would be exactly correct, since I never plan to have one again. For reference:




After that catastrophe, we all went to walk down Navy Pier and have a drink. It was a lovely, LONG walk to the beer garden. Once we sat down and had drinks and water that clearly came from the gods (since it was $3.25), Jacki's friend Mindy joined us. After drinks, the three of us went on the Ferris wheel as per Jacki's wishes. Shannon and I were both reluctant, but saying no to Jacki is a pretty difficult task. Thank god we finally decided to listen to her, because it was wonderful! You could see the entire city from high above the water. The view was breathtaking. The only frightening moment was when Mindy almost dropped her phone off the Ferris wheel, seconds after someone said I wonder how many people drop their phones off this thing. After the Ferris wheel ride we all went to dinner at Bridge House Tavern, a restaurant with half price wine bottles on Wednesdays, and a riverside view. Who can beat that? Go Mindy!! Thanks for making our Chicago trip perfect :)

Only regret: forgetting to wear our YOLO hats.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Chicago

1 comment:

  1. Okay hold up, that hot dog looks, DELICIOUS!


    Have fun, be safe and Go so much Blue on the rest of your trip!!

    ReplyDelete